The Healthy Dish
8 Ways To Eat Quinoa That Take This Superfood To The Next Level
Quinoa (KEEN-wah) is one of my favorite foods. With its origins from Peru, quinoa is actually considered a seed rather than a grain and looks similar to buckwheat. It is gluten-free and luckily for us, can now be found in most grocery stores. Quinoa contains all nine of the essential amino acids, which makes it high in protein, B-vitamins, fiber and magnesium.
Quinoa can be ground and prepared into flour for gluten-free baking, while sprouted quinoa makes for a perfect addition to salads and soups. It also makes for a nutritious breakfast, is an excellent foundation for salads and can be combined with seasonal fruits and vegetables for a great side dish.
If you’d like to start incorporating quinoa into your diet, here are eight ways to take this superfood to the next level.
1. Mix quinoa with butternut squash, cranberries and sage for the perfect Thanksgiving side dish.
2. Prepare a gluten-free Tabbouleh salad, and replace bulgur with quinoa.
3. Add quinoa to soups for a hearty texture and a healthy carbohydrate and protein.
4. Replace your morning oatmeal with cooked quinoa, and top it with yogurt, mixed berries and almonds.
5. Substitute quinoa for any rice dish and add protein like grilled chicken or salmon.
6. Incorporate quinoa in baked goods such as cookies and breakfast bars for varied texture and quality nutrients.
7. Stuff cabbage with quinoa and lentils for a delicious meal.
8. Stir quinoa into kale salads and toss with roasted vegetables and feta cheese.
For more advice from Cotton, visit her website at pilatesandyourpalate.com or call her at 772.485.6585.
(Image via Flickr/James Cohen)