'Dr. Beach' Names 3 Florida Beaches Among The Best In The Nation
We know Florida has some of the most pristine beaches in the country. Now, we’ve got the accolades to prove it.
“Dr. Beach” has named the 10 best beaches of 2016, and Sunshine State has secured three spots on the list.
With Siesta Beach in Sarasota in the No. 2 spot, Grayton Beach State Park in the Florida panhandle at No. 6, and Caladesi Island State Park Dunedin at No. 9, it’s clear Florida is a prime spot for beach bums of all ages.
The ranking is put together by Dr. Stephen Leatherman, a professor and director of the Laboratory for Coastal Research at Florida International University. To determine the list, "Dr. Beach" utilizes a 50-point system, which rates everything from sand softness to water temperature to smell to amount of sunny days.
Looks like you don't have to travel far to enjoy a day in the sun—our backyard is officially a top vacation spot.
Dr. Beach's rankings are:
1. Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve, Oahu, Hawaii
2. Siesta Beach Sarasota, Florida
3. Kapalua Bay Beach, Maui, Hawaii
4. Ocracoke Lifeguarded Beach, Outer Banks of North Carolina
5. Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
6. Grayton Beach State Park, Florida panhandle
7. Coronado Beach, San Diego, California
8. Coopers Beach, Southampton, New York
9. Caladesi Island State Park Dunedin/Clearwater, Florida
10. Beachwalker Park Kiawah Island, South Carolina